Windows 10 Install Questions
If you have an unknowledgeable tech person set up your new Windows 10 computer (or, heaven forbid, a high-school student working for Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc.), then they will probably choose "Express Settings" on the very first screen, which would be a terrible choice.
Disclaimer: This is not perfectly correct (wording). I have only set up Windows 10 once and I was writing fast. Capital letters denote special attention. Any questions, please Email me.
Let me list for you the questions asked on a Windows 10 first-time install:
Screen 1: "Get Going Fast"
Bottom-right of screen, two choices: "Express Settings", and "Customize Settings".
Please choose "Customize Settings".
Screen 2: Customize Settings - Personalization
- Personalization (Speech, Typing - sends contacts and Calendar Data along with "Other Associated Input Data" to Microsoft).
- Send Typing and Inking data to Microsoft to Improve Speech Recognition and Suggestions.
- Let Apps use your Advertising ID for Experiences across Apps.
- Let Skype Help you Connect with friends in your address book and Verify Your Mobile Number. SMS and Data Charges may apply.
- Turn on "Find My Device" and let Windows and Apps Request Your Location, including Location History, and send Microsoft and Trusted Partners Your Location Data to improve location services.
Screen 3: Continuity and Error Reporting:
- Automatically Connect to Suggested Open HotSpots.
- Automatically Connect to Networks Shared by Your Contacts.
- Automatically Connect to HotSpots Temporarily to see if paid WiFi services are available.
- Send Full error and diagnostic information to Microsoft.
Screen 4: Browser, Protection, and Update:
- Use SmartScreen On-Line Services to help protect against malicious content and downloads in sites loaded by Windows Browsers and Store Apps.
- Use Page Prediction to improve reading, speed up browsing, and make your overall experience better in Windows browsers. Your Browsing Data Will Be Sent to Microsoft.
- Get Updates From and Send Updates To Other PCs On The Internet to speed up App and Windows Update downloads.
- Who owns this PC? (1) My Organizaion, or (2) I own it.
***Seems like a simple question, but choosing Organization will make it try to connect to a Domain/Server. So, just about everyone should choose "I Own It".
- Email or Phone - ***Please choose to "Skip This Step". You don't want the computer to automatically connect to your Email and give out your Email Address and Phone Number. And you'll be barraged by SPAM and TeleMarketer Sales calls.
- No Account? Create One: Who's going to use this computer? Put in Just a First Name (user ID). You might be asked for a last name. I would put in something generic or the same as your UserID.
Little Pines, Inc.
The Highest Quality New and Used Computers, Networking, and Web Sites
560 E. L. Clark Lane Smoot , WY 83126
Phone: (307) 886-1122 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Home - The Ultimate Web Site - Client Design Gallery - SAW CMS Control Panel - WordPress Info - On-Line Applications - Our SEO Package - Hosting Plans - Networking - New and Used Computers - PC Repair - Seminars and Classes - Shopping Carts - LPI Specials - LPI Computer Tips & Tricks - Star Valley Farm Products - Sound System For Sale - Contact Us